Thursday, October 25, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

I've been addicted to Pinterest. Really, it's every OCD girl's dream. I love kids, crafts, home decorating, saving money, and amusing quotes. Now a place to organize it all BY PICTURE! Last weekend, I totally geeked out on Pinterest and got a bug to make stuff.

First I'll share: homemade fabric softener. The recipe is as follows:

6 cups water
3 cups white vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner (I used Suave lavender scented)

mix together and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup per load. I used this watermelon beverage holder with spout that I purchased for Maya's watermelon themed birthday party to mix it all in.

 
I'm allergic to most scented laundry soaps so I rarely use fabric softener but I love the way it makes clothes smell. And since I'm pretty sure I'm not allergic to water, vinegar or hair conditioner, this should be perfect.

At first I put it in the Downy Ball I had from when I tried to use Downy fabric softener (failed and broke out in a rash.) But the clothes didn't seem any different. So then I added it into the little spot in the washer that says "add fabric softener here." At first I was frugal and probably only added 1/4 cup. But the clothes still felt the same. So I upped it to 1/2 cup. Clothes came out softer and smelling slightly of lavender. Although, I do think I needed to add more conditioner (the bottle said it was 15oz and 2 cups is obviously 16oz but it's also very hard to get every last drop out of the bottle so I probably got well under 2 cups.) I think next time I might just mix the water and vinegar together and then manually add a squirt of conditioner. Either way, it seems like a nice cheap way to have softer clothes!

If anyone tries this or another fabric softener recipe, let me know your results!

edit: Someone had a question as to whether or not this was safe for front loader washing machines.  I don't have one so I'm not familiar with them.  I did a quick online search and nothing came up.  If anyone who has a front loader is brave enough to try it, let me know.  Also during my result, I came across a recipe that says to use hot water so the conditioner dissolves better.  Duh.  Trying that next time.

No comments: